Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

February 25, 2013

Mountain High Granola

Sunday. Snowing. Blizzard. Bliss.

That about sums it up.

I woke up yesterday to snow. A lot of snow. Wind blowing it all around, plows and workers continuously shoveling and moving snow to try and make somewhat of a clearing in our complex parking lots. This, was a great feeling. Stuck inside... no where to go... left only to bake.

Like I said... bliss.

Now, before I share what this beautiful day allowed me to create - you'll need a bit of a back story.

I'm sure you've noticed that I often post granola recipes. I'll admit it... I'm addicted. Yogurt, granola, fresh fruit and a cup of coffee... give me that and I'm a very happy girl. Ever since I've been able to [successfully] reintroduce dairy into my diet *hallelujah* I've eaten this "fruit & yogurt parfait" for breakfast most days of the week. It's delicious, healthy, is perfect for my pre & post workout snacks and most importantly... I feel good eating it.

The boyfriend doesn't have quite the same "routine" with breakfast as I do. Whatever sounds good that morning is what will be eaten. Great! I wish my food cravings were that simple! Anyway, the other day he made himself a nice little fruit & yogurt parfait and was surprised by how much he liked it. He said, "I'm going to start having this before work... it's actually really good!" HA, no more making fun of me for me "standard" go-to breakfast ;-)

Needless to say... the snowy day gave me time to create a new granola recipe for both myself and the *hubby*. And I must say... it's pretty darn good.



Mountain High Granola (makes 5 cups)

3 c gluten free rolled oats
1/4 c ground flaxseed
1/3 c raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c raisins

2 tbsp safflower oil
1/4 c agave nectar

Preheat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir to combine. Heat oil and agave nectar in a small pan over low heat to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry, stir until fully mixed. Smooth granola over your prepared baking sheet and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, stir granola once and place back in your oven. Turn the oven off but turn your broiler on high, continue to cook granola under broiler for 3 minutes (watch carefully so as not to burn). Remove granola and let sit on the baking sheet until cool. Store in an airtight container on the counter.



Nutrition Info (per 1/2 cup serving)
268 calories
35g carbohydrates
6.5g fiber
7.6g protein
15g sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment