Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

January 4, 2012

Crunchy Pure Granola

I must admit I am quite proud of myself for this one... I looked at a few past granola recipes I had made in my pre "free-diet" life and came up with this one on the spot. And ya know what? It's delicious!

My roommate even commented, "Did you make that?" Why yes I did. "It looks like something from like a... kit or... like you bought it in a store." Aw, thanks Nick! ;-)

I'm going to give you a brief warning that this is the approximate recipe... I didn't really measure but somehow the recipe turned out great. That just goes to show you can't really mess this up, so give it a try!

Ingredients
3/4 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chopped cashews
1/3 c gluten free oats
1/4 c pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 - 2 tbsp flax seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c crunchy flax cereal

1/4 c applesauce
2 tbsp maple syrup (or agave nectar)
1 tbsp walnut oil (any oil will work)


To Prepare
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix the nuts, oats, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed and cinnamon in a bowl. Heat the applesauce, maple syrup and oil in a small pan until well incorporated. Add the applesauce mix to the dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are coated. Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir the granola and continue baking for 5 more minutes. Add the crunchy flax cereal to the granola, stir, and continue baking for 3 minutes. (These time estimates are rough... each time you take out the granola take a small sample to test the crunch factor. If you like your granola very crunchy you may end up baking for longer, but be sure to add the extra time before you add the crunchy flax cereal, as it will burn if baked for too long. Also, keep in mind that as the granola cools it will get more crunchy.) Let granola fully cool on the baking sheet and store in a glass jar or air tight container. Enjoy as a snack on the go, or my favorite, top soy yogurt with berries, granola and banana chips - the ultimate breakfast parfait!



No comments:

Post a Comment