Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

January 4, 2012

Quinoa Anytime Bars

I thought it was about time I posted this recipe, seeing as how I have made it oh... probably about 5 times now.

Side note: I should also mention that I have proudly eaten all of these bars myself. #oh yea#


This recipe came from the lovely Gluten Free Goddess, only she calls these bars Quinoa Breakfast Brownies. I changed the name for this post because I feel that these bars are so delicious, mouth-watering, and filled with healthy quinoa that they should not be restricted to only breakfast.

I'm not going to post the actual recipe here because every time I make them I follow the recipe exactly except for a few minor modifications...

*reduce the brown sugar by 1/3 cup
*I always half the recipe and bake in an 8 x 8 baking dish (cut into 9 pieces)
*agave nectar can easily be used in place of the maple syrup (I almost prefer the agave)
*vanilla extract rather than powder
*I love adding raisins and chopped walnuts, and for even more oomph chop up a few squares of high quality dark chocolate (or use dairy free chocolate chips)

That's it! I told you the modifications were few. The reason is because this recipe truly is fool proof, no matter what substitutions or additions you make these bars will turn out incredible and you'll be hooked on making them every time your stash in the freezer runs out (yes... I'm speaking from experience).

So go ahead and visit the Gluten Free Goddess, make these bars and fall in love with all of Karina's wonderful recipes!




My new favorite bedtime snack... quinoa bar with Justin's peanut butter (or Sunbutter), roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and oh yea raisins because ironically I forgot to add them to the batch this time - shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment