Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

January 26, 2012

Savory Herb Amaranth Crackers

Can I just say... I love crackers. What better way to satisfy hunger than with something crunchy, savory with garlic and herb flavors, yet a hint of sweetness... I'm talking about a cracker of course!

If you haven't noticed through my recent posts... I'm on a bit of a cracker streak right now. The first ones I made - Wannabe Wheat Thins, Gluten Free! - kicked off this cracker train and let me tell you... this is one heck of a trip.

I've amazed myself at the art of creating a crunchy, normal-tasting cracker that is, of course, gluten and dairy free. There is something so... empowering... about creating a recipe that really works! (See blog title... no pun intended ;-) )

I stumbled upon this Savory Crackers recipe in my search for graham crackers. I of course saved it to my recipe bookmarks (yes, I do have a folder specifically for recipes - several in fact that are organized by snack, meals, breakfast, dessert, etc.) for a "free time, stress relieving" Saturday. I have been trying to exclude rice from some of my snacking options so I modified this recipe just a tad to come up with the most incredible gluten free cracker.

I think I've drawn you in enough so here it is... Savory Herb Amaranth Crackers...

Dry Ingredients
1/2 c amaranth flour
1/4 c tapioca starch
1/2 tsp zanthan gum
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp herb de provence
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp sesame seeds (toasted slightly on a small fry pan)

Wet Ingredients
2 tbsp oil (I used half grapeseed oil, half olive oil)
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp unsweetened soymilk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Combine dry ingredients through sesame seeds. Slightly toast seeds in a small fry pan over low heat, watch carefully so they don't burn! They are ready when they begin to turn golden and are fragrant - add to the rest of the dry ingredients. Whisk together the wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated and a ball of dough has formed.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour your work surface and roll the ball of dough in the flour (I used teff flour for this but amaranth works fine too). Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (adding more flour as need to avoid sticking). Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into a rectangle shape with straight edges, then proceed to cut small squares (about the size of wheat thins), puncture with a fork 2-3 times on each square and transfer squares to your prepared baking sheet. Reshape the imperfect dough (this is the leftover dough that was outside of your initial rectangle) into a ball and repeat the process until you have used all of the dough. (You may end up with a few imperfect cracker shapes but these are the ones you test before showing people! heehee). Bake for about 12 minutes, then check for doneness. the crackers from the outside of your rectangle will cook faster - these usually end up thinner than the others. If this is the case remove these crackers and place on a cooling rack, then place the rest of the crackers back in the oven until done (this may take up to 5 more minutes). Once all crackers are finished let fully cool on a wire rack and store in a bowl on the counter for easy-access munching. (I believe the crackers retain their crunch-factor much better when stored in an open bowl rather than an airtight container.)


Now... to provide you with even more greatness I calculated the serving size and nutrition information.

What's that you say?? Thank you?!

Oh, no problem! You're so very welcome! (she says with a smirk)

This recipe makes about 38 crackers for 3 servings (give or take a few crackers)
One serving = 12 crackers
228 calories
24g carbs
4g protein
2.5g fiber


*If you are worried that 228 calories seems a lot for only 12 crackers just remember, homemade crackers are always thicker and denser than the store-bought variety. Also, the primary flour used is amaranth which is a very healthy grain filled with protein and fiber to keep you full and satisfied.


Well, there you have it! Enjoy these crackers and only share a few... they are too good to give away!


The PERFECT bite size snack!

1 comment:

  1. I got this web site from my friend who told me about this
    website and at the moment this time I am visiting this site and reading very informative articles at this place.


    Here is my web-site muscle building products

    ReplyDelete