Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

August 5, 2011

Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free Pizza

Mmm mmm good :) I haven't had real pizza in several months, and although past attempts have been good,  the missing cheese really does take something away. This pizza however, turned out wonderfully and to be honest, I didn't miss the cheese one bit!

I was ecstatic when I found this pizza dough recipe a few weeks ago and have been waiting for the perfect chance to make it. I found it at Funky Food Trisha, and let me just say... THANK YOU! Here's the recipe...

Yeast Free Allergy Friendly Pizza Dough
3/4 cup flour(quinoa, oat, amaranth, sorghum, buckwheat, millet)
1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease baking sheet.  Mix dry ingredients together and add in everything but water.  Stir in the water.  You are looking for a moist dough that easily forms a ball when kneaded.  Add a little extra water if needed.  Press onto baking sheet into whatever thickness desired.  Before topping, bake for about 5 minutes.  Then pull out and put your favorite toppings on, slide it back into the oven and enjoy when crust is slightly brown and toppings are bubbling.

*I added some italian seasoning to give it more kick

Once I made the ball of dough I took off a golf ball sized chunk, making about a 6-inch (very flat) pizza and a mini flatbread. I plan to cut the flatbread in half and make a delicious little sandwich in the days to come :) I also plan to make this dough again, perhaps with more spices or even a sweetener hmmmm... and make larger flatbread so I can finally enjoy sandwiches again on a daily basis. Check back to see how that goes!



I did as Trisha suggests and precooked the dough (both of them) for 5 minutes at 400 degrees, then topped the pizza with the:

Toppings
Prego Garlic Herb pasta sauce
1 slice turkey lunch meat torn into pieces (I used Applegate Farms Organic Roasted Turkey Breast)
Sauteed zucchini 
Corn (canned is fine)
Sauteed bell peppers
Cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste

We were making not allergy friendly pizza at the same time and had the oven cranked up to 475 degrees but I still had to keep my pizza (and flatbread) in for about 10 minutes to get the necessary crunch. If you're not a fan of crunchy crust keep the temp at 400 degrees and check every few minutes until you feel it is to your liking. 

Enjoy this! I certainly did :)




4 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! No baking powder, yeast or xanthan gum? I'm in awe and definitely going to try this! What type of flour did you use to make yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope just the flours, starch and wet ingredients! I used quinoa, amaranth and millet, the flavor is earthy but blends with anything you pair it with. I used the flatbread for a sandwich the next day and it was delicious!! Hope you enjoy it! Let me know what flours your try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you loved this recipe! It's a favorite at our house too:)

    ReplyDelete