Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

October 9, 2011

Just Sweet Enough Granola

Before cutting dairy out of my diet.. I used to make homemade granola every 2 weeks. Yogurt with granola and a banana was my go to breakfast about half the time, and if it wasn't for breakfast it made it into a snack at some point throughout the week.

Ironically, the same time I had to cut out dairy I also had to cut out oats. Bummer right?? Well I'm happy to say that I have slowly incorporated gluten free oats back into my diet and everything seems to be feeling just fine!

So here is the scenario... It's Sunday afternoon, I have been working on a project for most of the day, my back is very sore from hot yoga yesterday and I'm still in sweatpants... what's a girl to do?? Well bake something of course!!

I've been thinking about making granola for a while now but couldn't find a recipe I was absolutely thrilled with. Of course I could turn my old fall-back granola recipe into one that is gluten free but with the gears in my head turning all day I thought... I'll just mix and match and create my own! Here is what I came up with...

1 c gluten free oats
1 c chopped cashews
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking spice (this is a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice - if you don't have this make a mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg)
1/4 tsp sea salt

1/3 c applesauce
1 tbsp walnut oil
1/2 tbsp real maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 c flax cereal (or rice cereal, whatever you prefer)
1/4 c raisins

Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Slowly heat the wet ingredients in a small skillet until all are incorporated (if it starts bubbling on the sides turn the heat off). Mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Bake on a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly spray with canola oil), bake for 15 minutes then take it out and mix together. Bake for another 10 minutes, take out and mix again. Add flax cereal and raisins and bake for another 5-8 minutes. Take out and let cool, it will get more crunchy as it sits. 

This recipe makes almost 2 cups of granola. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Enjoy!

*A small disclaimer: This granola is not very sweet. The raisins add a little sweetness, the perfect amount for me, but if you are someone who likes sweeter granola or are making these for a sweet treat or snack, add either 1-2tbsp agave nectar or 1/4 cup brown sugar to the wet ingredients.*






No comments:

Post a Comment