Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

March 31, 2012

Blackberry Oat Flour Bake

So.... I think I've discovered a new breakfast to add to my repertoire.

Oat bakes.

If you don't remember last Saturday's post, here's a quick refresher... I had seriously been craving a big, fluffy, bad-for-you kind of cinnamon roll. But of course, dietary restrictions stopped that dream and I instead came across this recipe for a, shall we say, stand in cinnamon roll? I made it, it was delicious, pure Cinnamon Raisin Oat Bake Goodness.

Okay. Now that you're refreshed... back to the amazing addition to my weekly breakfast rotation ;-)

After the successful outcome of last Saturday - perfect breakfast, fueled with energy and a happy 6 mile run... I began to think.. Saturdays might just be the new oat bake day. Doesn't sound so bad, right?

Hence... my newest creation... a Blackberry Oat Flour Bake.

So simple, so healthy, so... yummmmmm.

I love showing you the final product before giving the ingredients and cooking instructions... just a little teaser to get you sucked in ;-)

Here is what you'll need...

1/3 c oat flour (or grind your own from gluten free oats - just not the instant kind)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 banana very mashed
3 tbsp vanilla hemp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

4-6 fresh blackberries cut in half + some for topping (~1/2 c total)



Preheat your oven to 350. Combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Combine the wet ingredients, really mash your banana - you want it almost liquid like. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until fully mixed. Fold in your blackberries. Grease a mini bread loaf pan or a small oven-safe dish (4-5 inches wide), scoop the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 16-18 minutes. (I checked mine at 16 and the toothpick was almost clean but I still ended up cooking the full 18 minutes.) If eating immediately let cool slightly before adding your toppings (you don't want to burn your taste buds and ruin the enjoyment of this amazing breakfast!) If eating the next morning, let fully cool and wrap in plastic wrap, store in the refrigerator over night. Heat for 45 seconds in the microwave, add the toppings you wish and enjoy.

Now, let's talk toppings..

I was planning on using the other half of my banana as a topping but when I realized how dense this bake was, I didn't think my stomach could handle it. I chose instead to top my bake with a drizzle of honey, a few more blackberries (halved), a few broken-up banana chips and a sprinkling of dairy free chocolate chips. Oh yes. If you're drooling right now it's okay... I am too and I already enjoyed this masterpiece.

I know you are ready to make this... perhaps you will have an Oat Bake Sunday. But just in case you need a little more of a push.. here is a rough estimate of the nutrition facts (I know you love them.)

Per One Blackberry Oat Flour Bake 
400 calories  
65g carbohydrates  
13g fiber
12g protein


Don't forget your morning paper and your smooth breakfast blend coffee... 
and please... 
enjoy responsibly.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! I'm always in the market for new breakfast recipes.

    ReplyDelete