Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

March 24, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Oat Bake Goodness

Let me set this up properly--

I am a senior at the University of Colorado, majoring in Marketing in the Business School.

I am graduating on May 10th, exactly 47 days from today.

Today is the first day of the last Spring Break I will ever have.

WHAT?!?!? This is unreal.

So... what better way to start this day than with a mouth-watering, stick-to-your-gut breakfast, paired with coffee of course ;-)

I've had a massive craving for cinnamon rolls lately. You know the kind they sell at Cinnabon? The larger-than-life, should-be-split-between-four-people, loaded-with-fat cinnamon roll? Oh yes. Now you know what I'm talking about. While there are plenty of gluten and dairy free recipes out there for cinnamon rolls, they all still contain yeast. Bummer. I'm determined to somehow create a gluten/dairy/yeast free cinnabon copy-cat, but until I find the time (most likely after graduation) I've been searching for a stand-in. I found this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal from Chocolate-Covered Katie and thought... this just might do it!

I've made buckwheat bakes several times and have never been disappointed so I was more than willing to give an oatmeal bake a try.

The outcome??


Delight. Smile on my face. Was literally scraping the chocolate off of my plate. Yes.


As you've noticed the last few of my recipes have not been my own creations. Why? Because there are so many talented people out there making the most amazing looking foods... how can I not make their recipes?!

That being said, I followed this recipe [almost] to the tee. I strongly encourage you to visit Chocolate-Covered Katie, she has incredible recipes! But, here my dear is the recipe with my minor tweaks.

Cinnamon Raisin Oat Bake Goodness
1/4 cup steel cut gluten free oats + 1/4 cup oat flour (you can grind your own)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vanilla hemp milk (using a flavored milk eliminates the need for added sweeteners)
a dash of salt (careful not to overdo it! I really mean "a dash"!)
1 tsp melted butter
a handful of raisins
small handful (or more) dairy free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Use a coffee grinder, grind 1/4 cup oats into a flour. Add to bowl along with the remaining whole oats, cinnamon and [dash] of salt. Mix hemp milk, applesauce, vanilla and butter and add to dry ingredients. Stir until fully mixed. Add raisins and chocolate chips, stir again until fully mixed. Lightly grease a 4-inch oven-safe dish or 2 ramekins and add oat mixture. Place in oven for 15ish minutes (you just don't want it to still feel mushy). If eating immediately turn broiler on high and let your oat bake get a nice crunchy top for about 5 minutes. If eating the next morning, let your bake cool, wrap in plastic wrap or foil and store in the fridge overnight. When ready to eat microwave bake for 30 seconds and then place under broiler for 5-7 minutes.

I topped my oat bake with a small mixture of cashew butter, melted butter (oh come on.. it's supposed to replicate a cinnabon, remember?!) and a dash more of cinnamon. I smothered this over my bake along with half of a banana (sliced) and oh my.... breakfast heaven.

While I do still have a yearning for that soft yet crunchy, completely sinful cinnabon-like cinnamon roll, I will say that this oatmeal bake did quite the job at suppressing that craving for now. Not to mention, as I was eating it ideas were overflowing in my head of other oat bake variations I could make!

This is a great breakfast to enjoy on the weekend when you have all the time in the world to drink your coffee and read the morning paper, however, it stays together extremely well and I'm sure could be taken for an on-the-go breakfast (if you must).

Thank you Katie for this great recipe! 


Now go on.... get baking ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment