Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

July 15, 2012

No Nuts Chocolate Granola

I love it when things come together.

You take a chance... a blind shot in the dark if you will. And when the outcome is better than you expected, well, that's a pretty good feeling ;-)

That is exactly what happened with this granola. I had a few criteria I wanted to meet...

Chocolate. 
(I've had a serious hankering for chocolate lately... especially in the morning - weird, I know.)
Protein!
(To add [healthy] pounds, protein is a must at any meal or snack.)
Simple.
(Since my stomach has been uber sensitive lately, I've found that less ingredients are better.)
YUMMY.
(This is a requirement for any homemade good, am I right?)

With these things in mind, I based this granola recipe off of my homemade chocolate rice protein bars (recipe coming soon, I promise!). I was a little nervous because the taste of this mixture pre-baking wasn't all that special. But, what was I to do - everything was already mixed together - so I went with it hoping for the best, and the outcome? 

Chocolate-Protein-Simple-Yummy-GOODNESS. 


 Before I give you the recipe, there is one caution you should prepare yourself for... when putting your chocolatey, protein-filled, simple, yummy granola away... you may loose at least one serving from tast-testing. This stuff is addicting... no kidding.

Ingredients
1 1/2 c EnviroKidz Koala Crisp Cereal
1 c gluten free rolled oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
*2 scoops protein powder (I use Jarrow Formulas Optimal Plant Proteins)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp brown rice syrup (honey or agave would also work)
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large baking sheet with canola oil. Combine cereal, oats, protein powder and cocoa in a large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 10 - 15 seconds (this helps the ingredients to mix together). Add the wet ingredients to the dry, ensuring to coat all dry ingredients (look for the protein powder and cocoa that has set on the bottom of the bowl - be sure to incorporate this!) Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. Take out, spray with more canola oil and stir (you want to move the granola around, especially near the edges to avoid burning). Return to oven and cook another 4-5 minutes. Now you'll want to test for texture - I like my granola on the crunchy side so I cooked for another 2-3 minutes. Once it is to your crunchy liking, let the granola fully cool. Store in an airtight container on the counter (preferably a clear container so you can show off your baking skills!)

*The protein powder I use is vanilla flavored but this didn't seem to disturb the chocolate-flavor at all. If you have chocolate protein powder, I would suggest reducing the cocoa to 1 tbsp. Unsweetened protein powder would work great as well.

I'm pretty sure this granola won't be around too long - it is just chocolatey enough to suppress that craving, and is healthy enough that you don't feel an ounce of guilt for enjoying it. Don't believe me? Take a look...

Nutrition Facts
[per one 1/2 cup serving]

160 calories
23g carbohydrates 
3g fiber
5g protein
10g sugar

Told ya!

Enjoy this with a banana and non-dairy milk for breakfast, atop your favorite yogurt, for a mid-morning or afternoon snack, or enjoy as a healthy dessert. Anyway you eat this, I guarantee it will put a smile on your face. Hooray for chocolate and hooray for recipes that come together :) Happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment