Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

August 26, 2011

Delicious Zucchini Crumble

My parents are having a zucchini overload in their garden this summer - a burden for them but a benefit for me! Typical uses for zucchini are... zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, stuffed zucchini, zucchini in pasta, zucchini as pasta... am I missing any? I wanted to make something different.... the food gods must have been listening because the weekly email I subscribe to from Living Without Magazine was a Gluten Free, Dairy Free Zucchini Pie.

As you'll notice the crust of this pie racks up in calories, not to mention sugar... Being that it is still blazingly hot here in Colorado I modified this recipe to make something a bit lighter.. a Zucchini Crumble. I was once again helped by the food gods... well actually the Gluten Free Goddess (same thing!), which is where I found the crumble for this delicious dessert.

My Modifications:
I followed the recipe exactly for the zucchini  portion of the pie, but once prepared placed it into an 8 x 8 baking dish. Instead of discarding the sweet, delectable, syrupy liquid, I reserved it and used it in place of most of the butter/shortening that is used in the crumble. I can tell you I only used about 1 tbsp of butter in the crumble, the rest of the moistness came from the syrup (I can't tell you exactly how much you'll need, just make sure that you have a crumbly, somewhat dry texture).

Instead of baking the crumble on top of the Zucchini I baked it by itself until it browned, then crumbled once cooled. When you are ready to serve the dish simply place the crumble on top of the prepared zucchini and bake at 350 until the crumble is crunchy and the zucchini is warm. Enjoy!

**When you serve this, don't tell people they are eating zucchini... make them guess what it is! Chances are no one will get it right... the taste resembles an apple crumble...but better!**

I can't have dairy but if you can, a scoop of vanilla ice cream would take this off the charts ;-)

1 comment:

  1. This is over the top good!!! Thought I was eating apple crisp... just the right amount of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete