Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

November 7, 2011

Cookies for Breakfast

What a wonderful title huh? I mean really... who doesn't want to eat cookies for breakfast?!

These amazing pumpkin spiced cookies are from the Whole Living Blog and the best thing is, you don't have to feel bad about eating them! These cookies are definitely not your typical sweet treat - they sort of resemble oatmeal pancakes. If you like your jumbo cookies really sweet I would suggest adding some brown sugar, or use maple syrup in place for the agave, as the original recipe calls for. I, however, think they are perfect as is, especially when paired with sweet little raisins.

Here is the recipe with my minor substitutions:

2 c gluten free oats
1 cup mashed pumpkin (the can version works perfectly fine)
1 ripe banana
1/3 c pecans, chopped
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp sea salt
handful of raisins (optional)

Combine the pumpkin, banana, agave nectar, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt in a medium bowl. Blend with a hand mixer until smooth. Fold in the oats, pecans, flaxseed and raisins (if using). Shape into 7 large cookies (about the size of your palm - yes, really!). Place onto a cookie sheet sprayed lightly with canola oil. Bake at 350 for 13 - 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack (or until cool enough to eat ;-))
Store the leftovers in the fridge, or freeze in aluminum foil and microwave 30 seconds for a quick breakfast on the go.

I made these after the CU football game this weekend and had one for a bedtime snack and one for breakfast the next morning. To accompany the jumbo cookie I had a banana, a handful of raisins and a delightful cup of coffee mixed with vanilla oat milk. Ahh it makes me happy just thinking of how perfect this breakfast was, enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Those cookies look darn good. Wish I had a few to keep my energy up while doing this tradehsow in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete