Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

December 16, 2011

Protein Packed Purple Smoothie

The idea for this smoothie came about this morning, knowing I needed a healthy protein packed snack after my mid morning cardio workout. I usually have to plan what my post-workout snacks are going to be ahead of time because after my cardio sessions, nothing sounds all that delicious. I have also found that planning or at least thinking about what you'll refuel with ahead of time leaves you feeling better during and after you've eaten the snack.

Here's what you'll need for this protein packed snack:
1 tbsp chia seed
1 c vanilla hemp milk
1/2 frozen ripe banana 
1 c greens (I used romaine lettuce)
3/4 c frozen blueberries
3 tbsp hemp protein powder

For this smoothie, you'll need to do just a bit of prep work, but it will be well worth it in the end! Are you ready?

Mix the chia seed and 1/3 c hemp milk in a bowl. Place in the fridge. (Yup, that's it!)
I let mine sit for about 2 hours, you don't need to wait this long but make sure to let it sit at least 15 minutes so that the chia begins to form a gel. It works great to throw this together before your workout, put it in the fridge, and it will be ready when you get home!

To Prepare the Smoothie
When you get home and are ready to make the smoothie, throw the chia gel and the rest of the ingredients (including the remaining 2/3 c hemp milk) into the blender and mix until smooth. The consistency of this smoothie is pretty thick (I actually ate mine with a spoon!). If you aren't a fan of super thick smoothies add extra hemp milk, juice or water until you reach the thickness you like. 

Now, to please those of you who always like to know the nutrition info on what you are eating, and because I'm claiming this smoothie as being "protein packed", I thought I'd break it down for you.

Protein:
Hemp milk - 3g
Chia seed - 3 g
Hemp protein powder - 11g
----------------------------------
Total Protein = 17 grams

Fiber:
Chia seed - 5g
Blueberries - 4g
1/2 Banana - 2g
--------------------------------
Total Fiber = 12 grams

Go ahead and cheer... I already know you are ;-)




To break it down even further... my workout consisted of a 20 minute cardio challenge on the stationary bike followed by 15 minutes of inclined running on the treadmill followed by a 5 minute cool-down walk. With a total of 40 minutes of cardio and 17 grams of protein in this smoothie... that means I got just about 2 grams of protein for every 3 minutes I worked out. How's that for a post workout snack?? 

Protein up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment