Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

December 23, 2011

Sweet and Savory Quesadilla

The inspiration for this sweet and savory quesadilla came from the apple and brie mix you often hear about or indulge in over the holidays. I had been cleaning up the house all morning and then squeezed in a little weight lifting session. After all that and several hours post breakfast I was starving and looking for that one particular taste that would satisfy my hunger.

What better than a quesadilla?! Now, I have talked about my ooey qooey quesadillas before but that is more of a dinner dish, a bit heavier and much richer in flavor. What I wanted for lunch was something light but satisfying... the amazing combination I came up with includes a ripe pear, Diaya Mozzarella (dairy free cheese) and a few slices of ham.

How to prepare this delicious snack:
You can use whatever gluten free tortilla you prefer, my fallback is La Tortilla Factory Ivory Teff Wraps. The best way to make it flexible for the quesadilla is to warm it in the microwave for 15 - 20 seconds.

Next, cover half of the tortilla with your Diaya Mozzarella Style Shreds. Lay 2 - 3 ham slices on top of the cheese and lightly salt & pepper. Thinly slice the pear into pieces and place as many as will fit on top of the ham (feel free to snack on the extra pear slices and you are cooking your quesadilla!) Add a little more of the cheese on top of the pear and fold over the other half of the tortilla.



Warm a medium skillet and lightly butter the pan and the top of your tortilla. Carefully place the quesadilla in your pan for about 3 minutes. Grab a spatula and quickly (but carefully) flip. The quesadilla is ready when each side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.


Cut the quesadilla into 3 slices and you are ready to chow down!

Halfway through the first slice I got a sweet idea... agave nectar! Pour 1-2 tsp on your plate for a sweet and simple dip!

No comments:

Post a Comment