Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

September 12, 2011

Breakfast Meatloaf for Dinner

When I was a kid I was never really a fan of meatloaf... something about it just didn't appeal to me and there was never a time where the flavors blew me away. When I first got together with my boyfriend several years ago his mom made meatloaf for dinner one night. I wasn't super thrilled but of course, I kept an open mind. It turned out to be DELICIOUS, and from then on, meatloaf has been in my repertoire.

I came across this recipe on Affairs of Living. While this is not a traditional meatloaf it packs a whole lot of flavor in a non-traditional way. I followed the recipe exactly except for a few modifications -
*Instead of using all breakfast sausage I used about 3/4 breakfast sausage and 1/4 italian sausage.
*I also added some extra carrots just on principle.
*In substitution of the aleppo pepper I used a mixture of chile powder, cumin & paprika.
*Lastly, butter or another oil is fine to use in place of the coconut oil.
I topped with Annie's Ketchup instead of the suggested sauce but if you make it with this please let me know how it is!
You can find the original recipe here.



To accompany the meatloaf I made glazed carrots (yup.. this dinner was carrot crazy!). My boyfriend and roommate had rice as a starch and I had some of my delicious flatbread toasted with butter.

The meatloaf is simple to prepare and leaves your kitchen with smells that will have you counting down the minutes until it is done. I hope you like it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment