Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

September 18, 2011

Sunday Pancakes with Strawberries & Sunbutter

It has become a rare occasion when my boyfriend and I enjoy the same big, hearty Sunday breakfast. Ever since late May of this year, when I found out about my many food intolerances, breakfast is a lovely time we share but not a meal we share.

Knowing that this coming week is crazy for the both of us, I decided last night that today's Sunday breakfast would be something we could enjoy together.

I have tried two other gluten free pancake recipes, one from a box and one from another blogger. I highly recommend making your own!! The blogger pancakes were delicious but more of a crepe like breakfast, very light and kind of melted away in your mouth. I was yearning for a more 'typical' pancake, one with substance, not too dry and stays with you for the majority of your Sunday activities (for me it is studying...)

I found this recipe from Ginger Lemon Girl, and made only a few small changes. Here is the recipe...

Dry Ingredients
1/2 c. millet flour
1/4 c. sorghum flour
1/2 c. potato starch
3 tbsp GF Oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients
1 tbsp ground flax seed + 2 tbsp very hot water
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3/4 c. vanilla hemp milk + 1/4 c. water (or use all hemp milk)
1 tbsp canola oil

Toppings
Fresh cut strawberries
Sunflower seed butter
Real Maple Syrup

To Prepare
Mix the flax seed and hot water in a small bowl or teacup and let sit while you mix all other ingredients.
Place all dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
In a small bowl mix together the wet ingredients, adding the flax seed mixture at the end.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until most chunks are gone (make sure to do this otherwise you'll have some dry flour chunks in your pancakes!)
Warm a large skillet and spray with canola oil or butter the pan, add about 1/4 c. batter to the pan (trust me this is the perfect size). Flip when the edges begin to look cooked and the middle shows some bubbles. Cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side.
*This recipe yields 11-12 pancakes. They are not too sweet but with the suggested toppings they are wonderful :)
*I am planning on using two pancakes as "bread" for a lunch sandwich.. I'll let you know how it turns out ;-)

I hope these bring smiles to your Sunday morning as they did to ours!



No comments:

Post a Comment