Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

September 28, 2011

Ooey Gooey Quesadillas, Dairy Free!

I can honestly tell you that I don't have the words to describe how excited I was to have a REAL quesadilla that actually tasted like a one! I have had a few bites of cheese here and there over the last several months but not a full meal... Dairy has probably been the hardest thing for me to give up but.. my body seems to be happier without it so I have managed to fight my cravings.

I found shredded soy cheese at Vitamin Cottage and thought I'd give it a try (they have many brands, try them all and find your favorite!) I was a little weary about it at first since my last dairy free cheese purchase turned out a little less than... tasteful.

When I opened the bag and tried a little sample I was AMAZED! The best way I can describe the flavor is to relate it to the box mac 'n' cheese you had when you were little... that Velveeta-type, melts-in-your-mouth deliciousness ;-)

Back to the recipe... we had lots of leftovers in the fridge that were at that "eat it or throw it out" stage so I thought hmm what to have for dinner.... QUESADILLAS! They have endless possibilities for fillings and can be personalized to your liking. I filled mine with leftover homemade sloppy-joe, you can find the recipe here. This time around I made it with ground turkey instead of beef, give it a try if you don't eat beef, both taste great but I must say the beef has just a touch more oomph in flavor. I follow the recipe to the tee (except for adding twice as much carrot) and it is always a huge hit.

To prepare your quesadilla follow this tried and true method:
Gather the ingredients you'd like for the filling, place on one half of a tortilla (I use teff tortillas, you can use whatever you have on hand), top with the delicious soy cheese. Warm a medium skillet, use butter or any butter-like spread you have and grease the bottom of the pan. Carefully place the tortilla into the skillet and butter the top side. Wait a few minutes and flip, wait a few more minutes and there you have it! Both sides of the tortilla should be crispy and the filling should me melted. Use a pizza cutter to slice the quesadilla into as many pieces as you like. Eat as is or serve with salsa. Last but not least... enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment