Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

September 26, 2011

Yeast Free Mini Bread

Whenever I find a bread recipe that doesn't have yeast I am ecstatic! I found this recipe for Paleo Bread on Elana's Pantry, and only made two modifications - substituting hazelnut meal/flour for the almond flour and substituting canola oil for the coconut oil.

Here is the recipe I followed:

3/4 c. hazelnut meal/flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/8 c. golden flaxseed meal
1/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/8 c. canola oil
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

To prepare:
Pulse first 5 ingredients in a food processor (through baking soda). Add in eggs, oil, honey and vinegar and pulse until smooth.
Bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Let cool in pans 5-10 minutes then remove and let cool completely on wire racks.

I made half the recipe this first time (I usually do this with new recipes so as not to waste ingredients!), and used two mini bread pans. I thought the batter would fill about 4 mini pans but.. I was wrong... I filled 2 pans to the top... take a look at how they turned out.


I know they don't look that small here... take a look at this one...

The left is a standard size bread loaf from the grocery store, the right are my cute little mini loafs!

Now you can really see how small and cute they are :)

The taste of this bread resembles the Hazelnut English Muffin/Bun/Bread I have made several times, although the texture is a bit more delicate. Once the loafs cooled I placed them in a plastic bag and have stored them in the refrigerator. I'm hoping that by being cooled they will be strong enough to hold up for a mini-sandwich!

Regardless of their size they are delicious, not sweet, very bread-like and most importantly yeast free!

Play around with this recipe and let me know how it turns out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment