Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

December 19, 2011

Banana Berry Protein Cakes

 As you may have noticed with the last few posts... I have been experimenting with ways to add more protein to my diet. The truth is... I need to gain weight. I know... what a burden right? Most people would say, "I'd love to be in your shoes!" or as my dear friend said the other night, "Oh, you poor thing."

Let me share with you a little background...

Ever since my tummy troubles began about... 4 years ago, my eating patterns (obviously) changed. With that came a loss in weight.. and let me tell you that being 5'2", a healthy eater and a lover of fitness and exercise... there isn't a whole lot of weight to be lost in the first place. Anyway, as the pain got worse I continued losing weight. Not to fear! I did gain some back and was holding steady for several months, still underweight but only by about 5 pounds. Then, once I discovered my food intolerances and had to cut even more things from my diet, my weight dipped about 2 pounds, which is where I have been holding for sometime.

The point being... extra calories and protein are what my body is calling for and that's exactly what I'm trying to give it.

In search of these types of snacking recipes, I stumbled upon the Healthful Pursuit website a few weeks ago and have been obsessed with it ever since. The pictures of Leanne's recipes are irresistibly beautiful and absolutely charming. I had made her Chocolate Jam Packed Protein Cake about a week ago and slightly overcooked it leaving it a bit dry. Determined to create something as delicious and protein packed as her pictures depict, I continued searching her Recipage and decided to make her Grain Free Vanilla Berry Protein Cake. I wasn't thrilled about using egg whites so I spun my creative baking wheels and came up with this...

Banana Berry Protein Cakes (makes one cake, or double the recipe for 2)
1/4 c ripened mashed banana
2 tbsp hemp protein powder
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp melted coconut oil
2 - 3 tbsp apple sauce (start with 2, add 1 more if the batter seems stiff and dry)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 c frozen blueberries
turbinado sugar for topping (optional)


Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a ramekin or a 1 cup oven safe dish with canola oil, set aside. Combine all ingredients except blueberries in a small bowl until fully incorporated. Fold in the blueberries and put into your oven safe dish. Top with turbinado sugar if you so please and bake for 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. The cakes will seem a bit soft but if the toothpick is clean they are done. Leave the cakes in the ramekins and let cool on a wire rick. Eat immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a healthy, delicious and protein filled snack whenever your heart desires!

Notes
The texture of this cake is soft, sort of like a flourless chocolate cake mixed with a mousse.

Hemp protein powder can be a bit grainy in texture but once you have it a few times you won't notice it. You can purchase this protein at any health food store, it may be green in color (as mine is) or may be white, which will make your cake a bit more appealing to the eye. If you don't have hemp or don't like it, feel free to use any other protein powder you have.

You can also sub in any other fruit puree for the mashed banana, and any frozen fruit can be used in addition to or in place of the blueberries. Let your mind wander and create something delicious!

Enjoy! I know I sure will! (Also, be sure to visit the Healthful Pursuit website for other amazing recipes!)



1 comment:

  1. I love that you made these egg free! Great work, Melaina :) Thank you for all your nice comments about my blog, and for sharing the post with me. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete