Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

December 11, 2011

Creamy Mac 'n' Cheese

I have to be honest... I was a little skeptical of how this recipe would turn out when I first started making it. But guess what? It turned out fantastic!

The plan for dinner was to make homemade mac 'n' cheese for the boyfriend and roommate, and to make a gluten and dairy free version for myself. Sounds like a great plan right? I thought so ;-) Here's what you'll need...


Ingredients
1/2 c rice milk
1/2 c dairy free cheese (I used Diaya Vegan Cheese, the cheddar version)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp herb de provence (or another spice mix you like)
salt & pepper to taste
*1/2 tsp nutritional yeast

**your choice of protein (optional)

2-3 oz gluten free pasta (I think a shorter pasta works better to hold the sauce rather than spaghetti, I used DeBoles Brown Rice Spirals)

To Prepare
Cook pasta according to package directions (be careful not to overcook, gluten free noodles tend to get mushy when over cooked). As the pasta cooks slowly heat the rice milk in a small pot over medium heat. When you start to notice the milk bubbling on the sides, turn the heat to low and add the cheese. Mix with a whisk until the cheese has fully melted. Turn off heat. Add the spices and nutritional yeast, adjust amounts to suit your tastes. Drain the pasta and add to the cheese sauce, mix until noodles are covered in that creamy deliciousness. Add in whatever protein you are using and you are ready to serve! This dish is great with a side salad or any vegetable of your liking.

Notes
*If you are on a diet that doesn't allow for yeast or are worried about the nutritional yeast in this recipe, let me say from experience that I didn't experience any side affects of adding the yeast to this sauce. I had to eliminate yeast from my diet for 3 months and still try to avoid yeast breads but I found this nutritional yeast to be just fine! It is a deactivated yeast and is a great source of protein and vitamins. The taste is cheesy and slightly resembles the powdered cheese that comes in those box mac 'n' cheese versions. If you are still skeptical, the Diaya cheese will provide enough of that cheesy flavor to the sauce but if you are a bit daring, give the nutritional yeast a try!

**I added some leftover sausage we had in the fridge for a protein boost, feel free to add whatever protein you like. Grilled chicken, meatballs/crumbled beef, or italian sausage would all be great! 





1 comment: